Today, we've compiled a list of 16 items that you can potentially share or split with your roommates. We recommend NOT sharing all of these because it'll be hard to find the perfect balance that suits both (or all) of the roommates. First, discuss what each of you have already and be sure not to bring doubles if not needed. From there, talk what the most fair items would be to split.
1. TV - Most likely, you or one of your roommates has a TV. Discuss which one to bring and consider it communal throughout the year.
2. DVD player - If no one has a DVD player, consider assigning one roommate to buy one and share for the rest of the year (if you want one).
3. Microwave - Consider renting a refrigerator/microwave if no one has one to bring.
4. Refrigerator - same as above. Mini-fridges are usually the only kind accepted in dorm rooms.
5. Area rug - You and your roommates could split an area rug to cover the carpet or hard floors in your room for the school year.
6. Textbooks - If you have similar classes, consider sharing textbooks.
7. Subscriptions (Netflix, Costco, magazines, etc.)
8. Printer and paper - Your college probably has communal printers in the library. If you want one for your room, discuss who should bring or buy one and own in from there.
SEE ALSO: 107 Things to Pack for College
9. Dishes and utensils
10. Sports equipment
11. Decorations - Do you plan on stringing lights or hanging posters? Be sure to discuss what to bring to avoid duplicates and run out of wall space.
13. Iron and ironing board - Having three ironing boards and irons would be overkill. If you or your roommates need to iron clothes, discuss it before going to school.
14. Office supplies
15. Food/beverages - This one can be tricky. If you decide to split food and drinks, make sure it stays equitable. Consider sharing general items like cold cuts, milk, etc.
16. Brita water filters
What would you add or subtract from this list?