Whether you're a high school student seeking to learn more about the schools you're applying to, or a parent seeking to help your child plan for college, here's a list of ten great questions to ask a college admissions office. These will help you determine important college facts when planning for college.These questions were developed after interviewing two college admissions officers in New England.
Keep in mind that these questions go beyond questions like "What SAT scores do I need to get in?" "How many students attend your school?" and "What are the most popular majors at this college?" which can be easily found in college guidebooks, The College Board website, or on individual college or university websites. It's important, especially if you're a student in a college interview, to not just ask questions for the sake of asking questions, but to ask the right questions that show you're serious about where to go to college and how to get in to college.
These questions are good to print out and bring on a college tour, or to ask when calling or emailing an admissions office. Understanding exactly what admissions offices are looking for is a key aspect to your plan for college:
1. What is the best way to prepare for your school?
2. What unique programs are incorporated into your school's curriculum?
3. What is the school culture like?
4. What do students like most about this college/university?
5. How does your career planning department compare with other colleges/universities?
a. What are the results of graduates job placement surveys? What percentage of students find summer internships before graduating? What percentage find jobs upon graduation?
b. What companies recruit on campus?
c. How many companies recruit on campus?
d. Where do students typically work after graduation?
e. Are there internship fairs on campus? Are there job fairs on campus?
6. What is the ratio of deans to students? How much time are they required to spend with each student?
7. Are professors available to give individual attention to students if requested?
8. What type of tutoring programs are offered to students?
9. How many liberal arts classes do students take and how many classes will they take towards their major?
10. What do students do for fun?
a. What events does the campus activities board plan for students?
b. How often do students go off campus and where do they go?
c. What are some popular clubs, events, activities?